HOMEMADE OYSTER SAUCE

SGD $21.90

260ml

Description

Much effort has been put into making this oyster sauce, right from the beginning when the oysters are freshly harvested from the open sea. The oysters are then soaked in a filtration tank for 7 days to purge them of all unwanted sand and impurities. The meat is blended and slowly cooked at low temperature for 24 hours for caramelisation to take place.

Homemade by Chef David Yip

David Yip wears many hats – chef, journalist, publisher, food consultant, TV host and F&B entrepreneur. A regular contributor to major dailies such as The Business Times and regional online media such as the Michelin website and C-Trip, David also sets up and operates his own restaurants and teaches gourmet cooking. He frequently travels throughout the region researching Chinese culinary history and conducts lectures and demonstrations, particularly on heritage food. Through these, David has garnered a growing and ardent following amongst the epicurean circle of Singapore.

Product Character

Almost 85% of this oyster sauce is pure oyster paste with the remaining 15% made up of specially selected oils, herbs, and spices for the “perfume”.

Weight
260ml

Shelf life
October 2017 (Chilled)

Cooking methods

Tossed Homemade Oyster Sauce with Wanton Noodles

Wanton noodles1 portion (90 gm)
Chye sim1 stalk, washed and cut into 4-cm length
Water1½ litre
Deep-fried shallot1 tbsp
Spring onion1 stalk, julienned thinly

Sauce:

Homemade Oyster sauce¾ tbsp
Light soy sauce ½ tsp
Spicy chilli sauce 1 tbsp
Sesame oil ½ tsp
Oil1 tbsp

Method:

  1. Prepare a bowl of room temperature water and set aside.
  2. Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil.
  3. Meanwhile, mix all ingredients, except oil, in a serving plate. Heat oil to smoking point. Pour hot oil into the sauce and mix well.
  4. When the water starts boiling, add in one serving of noodles and spread them out with a pair of chopsticks.
  5. Cook noodles for 20 seconds, remove and dip into the bowl of water (this stops the cooking process and adds extra springiness to the cooked noodles). Drain well and return it to the boiling water for a couple of seconds.
  6. Drain noodle well and add it to the sauce. Toss well.
  7. Blanch chye sim in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain and top it on the noodle.
  8. Garnish with deep-fried shallots and spring onion. Perfect accompaniment to roast meats of choice.

Ingredients

  • Fresh oyster                 85%
  • Oil                                10%
  • Onion, garlic, cinnamon, star anise, bay leaf, pepper:      5%