Homemade Wantons RECIPE
by Tafferine Goh
There are many wanton recipes out there, this is one of our favourite, passionately shared by our homecook-friend, Taff. The meat filling is packed with layers of taste. There is no turning back after you try this recipe.
Makes 45-50 wantons
- 1 pack Handpicked Wanton Wrappers (square or round)
- 500g Minced Pork (mixture of lean and fatty pork)
- 8 pc Prawns, washed and deveined
- 3 large pc Dried Mushrooms, soak and finely chopped
- 10 pc Water Chestnuts, finely chopped
- 2 large pc Dried Flatfish (do not wash)
- Pinch of White Pepper
- Pinch of Salt
- ¼ tsp Light Soya Sauce
- 1 tsp Corn Flour
- Marinate minced pork with pepper, salt and light soya sauce.
- Roughly chop the prawns and add to the minced pork, along with the mushrooms and water chestnut. Set the filling mixture aside.
- Roast dried flatfish in the oven at 180C for 5-7 minutes, until the dried flatfish is crispy and fragrant. Make sure it does not burnt or it will taste bitter.
- Grind roasted flatfish into powder, and add to the filling mixture.
- Next, add corn flour to the filling and stir to mix evenly.
- Using your Handpicked wanton wrappers, fill and wrap into desired shape. You can choose to serve these wantons deep fried, steamed or in a serving broth, together with your favourite Handpicked noodles.
- To prevent your wantons from sticking together, sprinkle a thin layer of flour onto a baking tray or line a baking tray with baking paper. Place the wantons individually onto the tray, taking care not to overlap.
- It’s always lovely to keep a batch of wantons in the freezer for a quick, fuss-free meal. To store, place the tray of wantons into the freezer until the wantons are frozen. Next, transfer the frozen wantons into a ziplock bag and store in the freezer until it’s time to eat!
- When cooking frozen wanton, there’s no need to bring the wantons to room temperature before cooking. Simply add the frozen wantons into a large pot of boiling water, stir occasionally. Wantons are ready when they float to the surface.