Soya Sauce Chicken
by Clement Chong (Recipe Video)
Top recipe choice whenever we are serving our guest. This dish taste better pre-cooked one day in advance, you will end with extremely flavourful soya sauce chicken. We love to serve it with wanton noodles or emerald noodles.
- 1.3-1.5kg Whole Chicken
- 1L Water
- 3 bottles Light Soy Sauce (623ml per bottle)
- 15-30 pc Peppercorns, bashed
- 3 pc Dried Grass Fruit
- 2 pc Cinnamon Stick, snapped into half
- 50g Ginger, lightly bashed
- 20g Liquorice
- 4 pc Star Anise
- 1kg Rock Sugar, or to taste
- 2-4 tbsp Chinese Rose Wine (Hua Tiao)
- 6 stalks Spring Onions
- Sesame oil for glazing
- To a large pot, add all ingredients, except the chicken and spring onions. Bring the mixture to the boil.
- When boiling, add the spring onions, followed by the chicken.
- Turn the chicken every 5 minutes for the next 20 minutes on medium heat.
- Remove the chicken from the pot. Set aside and allow to cool.
- When the chicken has cooled, glaze the whole chicken with a thin layer of sesame oil. This serves to enhance the taste as well as gives the chicken skin a delicious shine.
- Use a sharp cleaver to chop the chicken into desired pieces.
- Serve with your favourite Handpicked noodles.